Transition Resources

Welcome to our page regarding Secondary Transition!  The information contained here is of a general nature and most will take you to non-PVSD sites.   If you have specific questions please contact your student’s case manager or school counselor.   Eligibility for services is an IEP team determination. 

What is Secondary Transition?

Secondary transition is the process of preparing students for adult life, after the student exits school age services.  Students may be eligible for school-age services through age 21.  The transition planning process can be considered a bridge between school programs and adult life.  Transition planning for students with IEPs must occur during the year in which the student turns 14.  

The transition planning process can encompass three areas to prepare students for:

  1. Higher education or training
  2. Employment
  3. Independent living 

Planning for the Future Checklist

The Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) has developed a “Planning for the Future Checklist” that can assist in this process.  The Checklist is of a general nature; it is not intended that all boxes are checked, as the path you take is individualized.  Students and families should discuss with their case manager any questions that may arise.

General Resources

Pennsylvania Secondary Transition Guide

This site “provides youth, young adults, parents, and professionals with secondary transition resources to facilitate a young person’s progress towards post-secondary goals related to education, employment, and community living”.  It is updated frequently by the state and a great place to start in understanding secondary transition. 

The Pennsylvania Career Guide

The career guide is a valuable resource for all-important career decisions.  Information in this publication can be used by all individuals who are preparing for continuing education and/or entrance into the workforce.

Agency Information 

There are several agencies that can assist in the planning process; some may be able to assist you and your student after they graduate and leave school-age services.  If you and your student are working with an agency, please let your student’s case manager know so we may include them in meetings. 

Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation 

Students close to reaching the end of their school age services may be eligible.  OVR provides support for individuals with disabilities in obtaining employment.  From their website:  “The Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, or OVR, provides vocational rehabilitation services to help persons with disabilities prepare for, obtain, or maintain employment.”   If your student is connected with OVR and has a caseworker please let us know so we may invite them to IEP meetings.  

Montgomery County Mental Health/Developmental Disabilities/Early Intervention 

A variety of services are available to individuals who have been determined eligible through assessment and evaluation.

Post-Secondary Education or Training resources  

Obtaining accommodations for the SAT through College Board.  

 This page contains information about applying for accommodations for the SAT.  Staff at Perkiomen Valley High School can assist families in applying for accommodations, contact your student’s school counselor.  Approved accommodations are typically valid for the student’s high school career.  College Board makes the determination as to student eligibility for accommodations. 

Obtaining accommodations for the ACT.   

This page contains information about applying for accommodations for the ACT.  You must apply for accommodations when close to the testing window.  Contact your student’s school counselor for more information. ACT makes the determination as to student eligibility for accommodations.  

College Autism Spectrum

Resources about programs available at two- and four-year colleges for students with Autism Spectrum Disorders.   Should not be considered a complete list.